Genetic ambulance Karlovo Náměstí
The goal of genetic counseling is to determine the risk of genetic disease in the fetus, respectively to determine the diagnosis of genetic disease by born individual as well as by fetus, and to propose next steps. In the case of donors of gametes it eliminates the risk of genetic load. The consultation with the doctor is covered by health insurance. Self-pay consultation can be used for uninsured clients.
The genetic consulting service is based on the communication with the patient. If you are concerned about the possible genetic load of your offspring, then you should definitely visit the geneticist. Your general practitioner or gynaecologist can issue the recommendation for a genetic consultation. In some cases it is possible to come without a doctor’s recommendation. It is important to realize that all the information provided to the geneticist is confidential. The geneticist may inform you impartially about his findings and further advise you about your situation, but is not authorised to determine your future course of action. All final decisions about suggested procedures are the inalienable rights of the consulting person or pair. Keep in mind that deciding to visit the geneticist should not give you the slightest reason for concern.
Genetic diagnosis is based on the patient’s medical records and his/her clinical-genetic testing and eventually on medical records of the entire family. If necessary, many tests can be done in our accredited laboratory (cytogenetic tests based on chromosomal analysis, molecular-genetic testing which is used e.g. to detect mosaics as one of the causes of sterility and a number of special molecular tests used to detect the origins of many health problems). After finding out the (possible) diagnosis the geneticist will clearly inform you about the genetic prognosis and possible risks. It is important that the consulting person properly understands everything, especially if he/she faces a serious decision. The doctor must always accept that decision, even if he personally disagrees. Before or during the genetic consultation, it is necessary to fill out the Questionnaire for genetic examination. You can download the questionnaire form from the link below or in the Downloads section. You can also pick up the questionnaire in person at the GENvia clinic at any time during office hours. You can fill in the documents for a genetic consultation in the comfort of your own home. If you do not use this option, you will receive and fill in the questionnaire during the genetic consultation.
Here is a brief overview of clients for whom the genetic consultation is suitable:
- Partners with positive anamnesis (infertility, sterility of unknown aetiology, repeated abortions, congenital malformations, hereditary diseases in the family)
- Partners prior to artificial insemination
- Sperm and oocytes donors by IVF
- Investigation of blood-related partners, kinship marriages
- Families with the incidence of cancer in several generations or by a child
- Families with the incidence of cystic fibrosis
- Families with the incidence of congenital anomalies or suspected hereditary diseases
- Persons with hereditary tendency to thrombosis (thrombophilia mutation testing)
- Persons with bone dysplasia, small or excessive growth
- Children with precocious or delayed puberty or genital developmental defects
- Children with psychomotor retardation
- Pregnant women with pathologic findings in biochemical screening or ultrasound findings
- Pregnant women over 35 years at time of delivery
- Influence assessment of mutagens (work in high-risk premises, the state after cytostatic treatment)
Hours of attendance
Note 1: To make an appointment with the doctor in our genetic outpatient clinic, please use preferentially the e-mail, in which will be stated the reason for the consultation, the name and the contact phone number.
Location of the clinic
Our genetic outpatient clinic is situated in the center of Prague, at Karlovo namesti 7 on the ground floor (the building with the green facade and sign “Karlovo náměstí 7”).